Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week Two and 0?

How about week one, eh boys? Week two brings with it the potential to make some teams two-and-0 while leaving others winless. Who will those be? Hamilton? Edmonton? BC? Winnipeg?

Game 1: Hamilton at Toronto. Thursday, 7pm ET. Printers and the Tabbies don't stand a chance against the Argos on their home opener. The Argonauts played terrible last week. They weren't all that impressive but for a few nice passes and a phenomenal running game by Jamal Robertson. Will Robertson play just as well? You bet. Will KJ and Bishop continue their QB duel? Of course! Will either of them step up and claim the starting position this week? I think so. While I'll root for Joseph, Bishop has maybe the better chance to impress the T.O. coaching staff. Can Printers get his game together and pull out the upset on the road? I doubt it. Trading away Brock Ralph and Jason Armstead have left them with a list of no-names as starting receivers. Lumsden is their only player that has proven to play well with the team as is. That being said, Toronto's stingy defense won't allow Jessie to have his way with them.
Dylan Picks:
Game 2: Calgary at Edmonton. Thursday, 10pm ET. Yes, Calgary did play that well in Week 1. No, Edmonton did not. If Edmonton can make their tackles and keep the pressure on Burris, they might be able to stave off a few touchdowns. The key to stopping Calgary rests on stopping Joffrey Reynolds and forcing Burris to rush his passes. That being said, I don't think that Edmonton's secondary can do that. Ray will have a good statistical game, but red-zone scoring is where the Eskimos are the weakest. With 22 new faces on the Esky lineup and a veteran laden receiving corps in Calgary, I think the stamps are headed to two-and-0 despite Edmonton having the advantage at home.
Dylan Picks:

Game 3: Winnipeg at Montreal. Friday, 7pm ET.
Calvillo looked fantastic last week, and if Winnipeg couldn't capitalize on Toronto's pitiful performance in Joseph and Bishop, I don't think they're is a whole lot of hope for Winnipeg going 1-and-1. Yes, Montreal did beat Hamilton. But that being said, they just didn't beat Hamilton - Calvillo dismantled Hamilton. Is Glenn going to have another 300+ yard game without a major or two to show for it? With Winnipeg's receivers, it is a wonder why they are not on point. If Roberts can have a good running game then Glenn won't have to do so much work in the red-zone and maybe they'll put up a couple of majors. But if the Alouette secondary keeps up the game they played last week then it shouldn't take a lot to put them atop of the Eastern div. Besides, this week Calvillo is going to have his proverbial home-coming at McGill Stadium and this advantage is that extra jolt that they'll need to overcome the slight deficit that will be between they and the Blue Bombers in the end.
Dylan Picks:
Game Four: Saskatchewan at B.C. Friday, 10pm ET. The Riders are heading into what will be a very unfriendly BC Place in Vancouver. With Jarious Jackson getting the start while Pierce rests up, the Roughriders will have their work cut out for them. It won't be an easy win over the Lions, but with the Leos not cooperating as a single unit and their secondary playing an incredibly unimpressive game last week in Calgary - I think Crandell will get start the Riders 08 season two-and-0. Head-to-head, the Lions may look better than the Riders on paper, but we're not playing tic-tac-toe. Going 0 for 2 will be a big pill to swallow for BC but looking at their game last week, it isn't improbable. Don't forget that Matt Dominguez will be back in the lineup with Fantuz and Flick; while Adarius Bowman, I'm convinced, won't be quiet on the sidelines. Bowman will be looking to make key plays to solidify himself as a starter in the club while Matt will be the same old clutch player he always is. On the defensive side of the ball, the Riders signed Keith Shologan to a three-year deal today, filling in for Reggie Hunt's role at defensive linesman. Cates will continue to impress and hopefully silence the critics at TSN who think the Riders don't have a hope in hell of contending for Western champions.
Dylan Picks:
TSN Power Rankings for Week 2 are as follows:

[1] Calgary (Last Week: 4)

[2] Toronto (Last Week: 3)

[3] B.C. (Last Week: 1)

[T4] Saskatchewan (Last Week: 5)

[T4] Montreal (Last Week: 6)

[6] Winnipeg (Last Week: 2)

[7] Edmonton (Last Week: 7)

[8] Hamilton (Last Week: 8)

Biggest Rise: Calgary +3

Biggest Drop: Winnipeg -4

Get your picks in by Thursday at 7pm ET and, please, leave comments wherever you feel appropriate. I'm trying to be all-inclusive here. (It's not like you're not reading this at work, right? Am I right? Yeah.)

Good luck. God Speed.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright here they are.
Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg
BC

July 2, 2008 at 2:20 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Alright, I'm back in peg city (holla!) and I now have a television, so I have been spending every waking hour studying tape from last week's games. Or, maybe I've been watching American Gladiators.

Here we go:
Toronto (because Hamilton will not win this year)
Edmonton (because I want to see Calgary bounce back down on the power rankings)
Winnipeg (no explanation necessary)
British Columbia (because Wally doesn't like losing)

July 3, 2008 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Last week I was fooled by hype. I believed the hype of Cassey Printers and Kevin Glen while ignoring the hype of Henry Burris. This week I'm going to go with the old reliable, my gut. I'm picking

Toronto (with Joseph to out perform Bishop)
Calgary (Edmonton has no chance unless Mass plays, then they'll have an even worse chance)
Winnipeg (Sir Charles is due for a great game)
BC (Just a little revenge from last years playoffs)

Have a good weekend and here is a non football related funny montage of George W that you can enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLvBUSJucg

July 3, 2008 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger KDS said...

I missed Thursday's actions but it doesn't really matter since I would have picked the two losing teams.
To salvage the weekend, I choose
Winnipeg
B.C.

July 4, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home