Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Week 11: Banjo Bowl

Last week the Als, Riders, Esks, and Argos all took home wins against their opponents. This week is part 2 of the Labour Day Classic match ups between Calgary/Edmonton and Saskatchewan/Winnipeg.

Here's the break down of last week's action:

Game 1: Montreal 30-25 over BC (Points: Everyone!)
Game 2: Saskatchewan 19-6 over Winnipeg (Points: Luke, KDS, Myself)
Game 3: Edmonton 37-16 over Calgary (Points: None)
Game 3: Toronto 34-31 over Hamilton (Points: Jamie)

Week 11 kicks off with Calgary visiting Edmonton on Friday and ends with the Banjo Bowl on Sunday.

Game 1: Calgary at Edmonton, Friday, 9pm ET. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Edmonton is the most underrated team in the CFL. Everyone looks for Calgary to make a move to overtake Saskatchewan atop the West, but I think there's a better chance of seeing the Eskimos there late in the season. Calgary played a poor game at home on Labour Day and it didn't help that Henry Burris was injured early on. Ricky Ray looked good and their receiving corps is getting better with time. It's a scary thought to see Edmonton play so well but at least they'll beat up the Stampeders a little in the process. Edmonton sweeps the series.

Game 2: BC at Hamilton, Saturday, 4pm ET. The Lions were not crushed by the Als but they didn't look all together either. Hamilton put together some impressive drives and it looks like with Lumsden back, Printers was a little more relaxed and ready to make plays. Hamilton fought it out and it was a bad play call by Charlie Tafte that handed the game to the Argos. I think the Ti-Cats are going to be hungry to get another win at home. They'll learn from their mistakes. Hamilton wins.

Game 3: Toronto at Montreal, Sunday, 1pm ET. Like I just said, Toronto made some good plays and KJ looked good against the Tiger-Cats... but they were playing the Tiger-Cats and easily could have lost if it were not for a turnover on downs to end the game. While the Lions had a lot of fight in them against the Allouettes, the Als' D looked impressive in BC. I don't think that Toronto is going to win this one, but I think the Alouettes have to lose at home sometime. If KJ can really get on a roll now, without the "distraction" of Michael Bishop on the sidelines, the Argos could take the East. But that journey begins in Montreal. Toronto wins.

Banjo Bowl: Saskatchewan at Winnipeg, Sunday, 4pm ET. Neither the Roughriders nor the Blue Bombers has ever swept the Labour Day-Banjo Bowl series. It is history-making time. Bishop only completed 10 for 24 in Regina last week, but many of those were communication errors. Two majors were taken off the board with a studder-step by Cates and a broken route by Bowman. Add 14 to 19 and the post-game outlook would have been very different in Riderville. Will the Bombers bounce back from that loss in Regina by bringing in Joe Smith from BC? Roberts is an extremely popular player in Winnipeg and in the dressing room. How will that affect the team? Is Timmy Chang the answer to the 2008 Bomber QB saga? Has Doug Berry lost the respect and ear of his players? Doug Brown said in Tuesday's Free Press that the show Rider fans put on in their city embarrassed any showing Bomber fans attempted at Mosaic Stadium. How many Green jersies will be in CanadInns this weekend? The Bombers put together some very successful drives but the Rider D is just that good. Bishop only has one way to go: up. Saskatchewan sweeps the series.

TSN Power Rankings for Week 11 are as follows:
  1. Saskatchewan (Last Week: 3)
  2. Edmonton (Last Week: 4)
  3. Montreal (Last Week: 2)
  4. Calgary (Last Week: 1)
  5. B.C. (Last Week: 5)
  6. Toronto (Last Week: 7)
  7. Hamilton (Last Week: 8)
  8. Winnipeg (Last Week: 6)
Chris Schultz has yet to make his picks, so check back tomorrow or late tonight on TSN.ca for his analysis. Last week he went 2-2 picking Als, Riders, Stamps, Ti-Cats.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Montreal

September 5, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHhhh...I'm back dudes!! I know you thought you could kick out the lone chikita but that is what makes it +1 . Now that I'm up I am prepared to dominate your sorry little poll!

September 5, 2008 at 9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK so here's mine:
Edmonton
BC
Montreal
Saskatchewan

September 5, 2008 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger KDS said...

Well, I can't bet against Jocelyn:
Edmonton
BC
Montreal
Saskatchewan

September 5, 2008 at 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I havent had internet or been able to get near internet till today.

No picks for me for the past week obviously but we all know that if Winnipeg had won I would have had at least one win...

September 8, 2008 at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home