Friday, November 7, 2008

2008 East and West Semi-Finals

Alright, so I might be the worst administrator ever. Last week I asked Luke to do my duties while I was on my way to the Argos/Riders game in Toronto. It was an incredibly late post and as a result only Luke and I got in our full picks.KDS swooped in half-way through the weeks' action and picked up four points with his two correct picks.

However, I won't let this trend continue, especially now that we're in playoff season! This is what CFL fans live for: the race for the Grey Cup. As Saskatchewan and Winnipeg proved last year, anyone can go to the big game and anyone can win it.

First of all, I'd like to comment on the CFL playoff scheme: no offense to Bomber fans (everyone) but with the crossover playoff birth there is no more point to having East/West conferences. (Quite frankly, it is a little silly that Edmonton, who has a 10-8 record is going to Manitoba to play an 8-10 Winnipeg team.)

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the best way for the CFL to organize the playoffs is by ranking all the teams from top to bottom starting first with overall points and then deciding who is 2nd from 3rd, and so on, by total points scored. The top two teams would get the by-week and the third place team would play the sixth; and the fourth place team the fifth. The first place team would play the winner of the third v. sixth; and the second place team would host the winner of the fourth v. fifth. This way, the best teams would be rewarded with a by-week and the third and fourth place teams would be guaranteed one home-playoff game. The fifth and sixth place teams would get what they deserve. Nothing. Well, not nothing, but very little. Regular season points would be determined through the same East/West conference regular season game format, however, conference champions would be 'crowned' at the end of the regular season before the 6-team amalgamated playoffs began.

That being said, Edmonton is visiting Winnipeg this week and BC comes to Saskatchewan. Both visiting teams, in my opinion, will have a hard time winning these road games. And with that, let's begin:

Eastern Semi-Final: Edmonton at Winnipeg, Saturday 1pm ET. Milt is callin it a win - but only if Bomber fans can sell out the game. I like how he's giving away his game-worn jersey and gloves, but I wonder why how it ever came to this? I mean,c'mon! Sure it's not the Eastern final, but we knew that wasn't going to happen a while ago. This could (or should I say, is) Milt's last playoff game! So just buy a ticket, for Milty. On top of a game-worn jersey and gloves, he's guaranteeing a win if CanadInns is sold out! I don't think he needed to do that, but I do agree that it'll be hard for the Eskies to win in Winnipeg. The forecast for game day is for a balmy -2! And it's not as though the Eskimos don't know cold weather, it's just that Winnipeggers do. While Danny Maciocia is looking for his first playoff win since... well... he won the Grey Cup in 2005 I think it'll a while before the Grey Cup makes its way to Edmonton. No crossover team has ever moved past the semi-finals and while I bet against history in last year's Grey Cup game, I'm not going to do it now. The Bombers looked great against Montreal and they played a solid game againstHamilton while the Eskimos lost a brutal game against Saskatchewan and beat the Alouette's second-string team. All signs point to Winnipeg on Saturday.

Western Semi-Final: BC at Saskatchewan, Saturday 4pm ET. Go Riders Go! Four weeks ago I said that the Roughriders needed to win all three of their remaining games to clinch a home-playoff birth and to be seen as a letitimate playoff threat. They did it. It wasn't pretty at times, but they pulled it off. Last week's win in Toronto was a classic fourth-quarter win, the likes of which have defined the 2008 Roughrider squad. The Riders sold out their playoff game in 35 minutes (like Milt said) and Mosaic Stadium at Taylor Field will be the loudest place in the country this Saturday. The Lions have a fantastic front four and Wake is a nightmare to any offensive unit, but with a mobile guy like Bishop it'll take more than Cameron Wake to bring the house down. Furthermore with Fantuz, Flick, Bowman and Dressler at Bishop's disposal the BC secondary will have a tough time keeping everyone under wraps. Cates is running well and Hughes has proved to be more than a capable backup. On the Lions side of the ball, Buck Pierce didn't play that well against Calgary and the Roughrider defense, on the best of days, is simply the best. It may be close but the Roughriders will win it.

TSN Power Rankings are as follows:
  1. Calgary (Last Week: 1)
  2. Montreal (Last Week: 3)
  3. Saskatchewan (Last Week: 4)
  4. B.C. (Last Week: 2)
  5. Edmonton (Last Week: 5)
  6. Winnipeg (Last Week: 6)
  7. Hamilton (Last Week: 7)
  8. Toronto (Last Week: 8)
Schultz, who is 47-25 at the end of the Regular Sason, likes: Edmonton and Saskatchewan.

Good luck boys (and girl?) and God Speed!

GO BOMBERS! GO RIDERS!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger KDS said...

I want to see another Green v. Blue final so I pick:

Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Plus, it never hurts to bet for the home team.

November 8, 2008 at 1:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dylan, you didn't get my picks for last week!! Because there was no post, I put them in the previous weeks post. I think I got three wins which would put me right in the hunt for the lead.
This week,I considered picking strategically knowing that the only way to move up in the standings would be to not pick Winnipeg or Sask. Since I am definitely picking Winnipeg, I should choose BC to earn points. I'm torn because I do think that BC is a better team but I also do think that Sask. is going to win, they always find a way to win. When push comes to shove- My picks this week are:
Winnipeg (It may be snowing, but at game time there will be Thunder and Lightning!)and the
Green riders

November 8, 2008 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger D said...

Well... I guess we'll just grab some points maybe next week, eh?

November 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger D said...

Oh and Jamie, if you see the leader board I've adjusted your points!

November 9, 2008 at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home